Web Toolbar by Wibiya

Friday, January 20, 2012

The Anatomy of a Successful Search

My search engine of choice is Google and it serves me well for searches. My search keywords can be off enough to give undesired results. I learned from Chapter 3 that a good keyword is central to a successful search.

A search demands that you specify one main keyword. In this example I am searching for music that plays on my computer without vocals so I can play along to it for practice. As I thought I realized that the word has to define what I am doing. The word for playing or singing along to music is karaoke. I've used Google for so long I know that this search engine is not good at asking questions to, for example, like asking, "What is the exact distance from the Earth to Mars on 1/1/2012"? Well that is odd and defies my logic! The question gave me the correct answer. "The distance [of Mars on 1/1/2012] from Earth is 1.03957 AU (155.5 million km)."

http://spider.seds.org/spider/Mars/mars2012.html

Picture taken when Mars was nearest to Earth


That is how unconscious my searching with Google is, but I was very lucky to have that work and have the first page hold the answer.

Back to  my karaoke web site. So what instrument do I want to play along with? The guitar. What are songs called by the music industry? Tracks. When I put them together karaoke guitar tracks I did get a web site with downloadable music that I can play along on my guitar and it was the first link. That was using keyword logic instead of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment