Web Toolbar by Wibiya

Wednesday, February 08, 2012

Out with the Old...







Update on incandescent lighting.

Some time ago I wrote about the issues with the new types of bulbs, one is the convoluted fluorescent bulb, and the other is the new glowing white bulb. Now there is an LED bulb, but it is very expensive and one has to be sure the Phillips bulb is the 9 watt bulb, or the light will be less then 60 watts of incandescent lighting.

Money is not the issue with me. I have broken two old fashioned lamps and one new type fluorescent bulb (as I screwed it in with my bare hands) so the glass went all over and, and this is the bad part, the fluorescent bulb contains mercury which is a deadly poison. I once did mercury testing in a water and soil laboratory and grew fearless of the volatile metal, but that was within the safety of a laboratory. The truth is the base of the new bulb is not designed with the old light fixtures in mind. I think the industry expects everyone to throw out all their old light fixtures and buy ones built for the new light bulb.

The promise of LED lighting is that it gives an even softer, more pleasant yellow light than even the best old energy consumers. The hit is the $20 to $30 price. They last 100,000 to 200,000 hours. That means all I have to do is by one bulb and for the rest of my life I will not need another bulb for one lamp. Although I like what I hear, I ask myself: How can they test a light bulb that will last 23 years if you have it turned on 24/7? The truth is no one knows how long they will last.

200,000 hour light bulb?

T12 Fluorescent & Incandescent Lamp Phase Out

Congress is serious about the T12 and on the above page there is even a digital countdown!

Please post your comments about this harsh legislation or share your incompatibility experience.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this information.....now the question looms "Will I spring for this expensive blub or is it just another dream of something better?"

    ReplyDelete