Web Toolbar by Wibiya

Monday, February 20, 2012

The Wave is Passing By

The Wave formation in Utah (please click to see The Wave)

The Internet serves a function. First, it was for the military, then it branched into the university environment, and in its form today, it is for communication and commerce. Now millions are using and with some good decision-making by 1983 the military had broke away and created their own Internet. It would have not been possible without a flow of research money from the government and universities. 
During pauses while working at a call center, I would read the history of computers and the internet at the only site open to us, the Microsoft site. While others played Sudoku or talked, I would read the stories of the men who designed the Internet which was envisioned at MIT, and I found out about the early struggle between scholarly uses of the Internet and military uses, and how the inventors were dismayed to see their plans go to the military. It’s not that I don’t like Sudoku, but in fact I learned the true reason of what interconnection was meant for, and once I knew I felt that I wanted to be part of the use for education and not exchanging MP3’s or gaming on the Net with buddies. That is why I chose to attend college online.


The WWW is now very fast
Today's laptop is more powerful
Early Modem


The Internet is full of information. It seemed easy to me, just as learning to program and build computers. I now can see I have been standing inside the Internet a lot like someone standing in the center of the Wave formation. The panoramic view is so very interesting. I could admire it forever, but now I am beginning to understand the WWW is not for looking and admiring. It has mundane uses that make money, like making a call center more efficient. Now I want contribute so the Internet becomes the tool for learning it was meant to be.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment